Historic Gravestone Preservation Workshop
This free workshop will be led by expert preservationist Jonathan Appell of Atlas Preservation, as a stop on their 2023 48 State Tour for Restoring America’s Cemeteries. All who are interested in gravestone preservation and repair are welcome to attend.
The workshop will focus on:
- Gravestone cleaning: proper techniques and chemicals
- Gravestone repair: joining fractured tablets, raising and leveling leaning or sunken or fallen tablet stones, and resetting or joining pieces of fractured monuments.
What to expect:
- The day will include hands-on segments.
- Wear comfortable work clothes and closed-toe footwear that you do not mind getting dirty, especially if you plan to participate in hands-on segments. Bring rubber gloves (optional), sunscreen, hat, folding chair, water, snacks.
- Parking is limited in the church parking lot. Two nearby parking lots are 1) a large city lot with metered spaces at 12 Wilmot Street, Morristown and 2) a large parking garage underneath an office building next door called Headquarters Plaza.
- There will be a lunch break. You can bring your own lunch, or there are many restaurants within easy walking distance or for delivery.
For more information on Jonathan Appell, Atlas Preservation, and the 48 State Tour, visit 48statetour.com.
To register for this workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information, organization, and number of attendees.
This workshop is hosted by the Morristown Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and The Presbyterian Church in Morristown.